Sunday, April 27

My Experience as a Vipassana Dhamma Server


"The Journey to Spiritual Growth requires discipline and action, initiative and being able to make independent decisions."

My Experience as a Vipassana Dhamma Server

As some of you might recall, I blogged about my Vipassana Experience about more than one year ago. If you have not heard of Vipassana meditation, you might want to check out my previous article first. If you have done Vipassana meditation and are thinking about whether you should dedicate 10 days of your life to Dhamma service, read on, and I hope what I share will offer you some insights!


So how did I end up as a Dhamma server?

When I was a Vipassana student at Dhamma Malaya, I was really touched by how the volunteers (also known as Dhamma Servers) served us so tirelessly for 10 days and with so much love and compassion. I had gotten so much out of learning Vipassana Meditation and I was curious what being a Dhamma server would be like. I decided to serve as I thought it would be a great opportunity to pay-it-forward as well as to learn how to live and work in a mindful way.


Fast forward to 7-18 August 2013 (yes, this is quite a backdated entry, been taking some time to put it up!), I managed to apply for leave and applied to be a Dhamma server! This time, I got my father to go along with me. It will be my father’s first time there, and he would be learning the art of Vipassana Meditation for the very first time!


My Experience

I decided to write this blog entry because when I was researching about Dhamma service, I realized little was written on it. I could not get much information. Therefore, I thought it would be useful for me to share my experience with my readers, and maybe inspire you to take on this noble role as a Dhamma server as well.


Here’s what Vipassana Teacher, S.N Goenka, wrote about Dhamma Service.

Value of Dhamma Service

"If you really want to get established in Dhamma, if you really want to apply Dhamma in your day-to-day life, give some service in Dhamma courses and get proper training. By giving Dhamma service in a course, you are fulfilling the teaching of the Buddha which is not just to help yourself to get liberated but also to help others to get liberated. Therefore, I keep recommending to my students, 'As you find time of ten days for purifying your mind for your own development in Dhamma, you must also give at least ten days in a year to serve others so that both the aspects of Buddha's teaching become stronger in you.'
I want all of you to keep growing in Dhamma, not just to take courses and then to forget about it. You have to apply Dhamma in life. And to apply it in life, serve at least one course a year to get the strength to apply it in life. May you all keep growing in Dhamma- not only for your good and benefit, not only for your liberation, but also for the good and benefit of so many others, for the liberation of so many others. Bhavatu sabba mangalam!"

S. N. Goenka

(You can also click here to read more about the purpose of Dhamma service. )


So here’s what I got out of Dhamma Service.

1. First-hand experience of what happens behind the scene

As a Dhamma server, one of our main responsibility was preparing food in the kitchen (this is for female servers, for men they do more washing of plates etc) I got to handle different types of fruits and vegetables. I interacted with a wide variety of vegetables, learnt more about their benefits, and the proper way of preparing each of it. It was quite an experience preparing food for a hundred people. Everything was done and prepared in bulk. Imagine preparing 5 watermelons, or 8 papayas, or 20 carrots at a time!

Food at the Dhamma centre is all cooked with love. I remember the first time I had to peel vegetables, I was sitting on stool beside huge buckets of vegetables, and told to intentionally peel and wash the vegetables. We were supposed to think good thoughts while preparing the food so that students will be able to eat food with loving energy.

No wonder food at the centre always tastes so good! 


The kitchen, which is kept really clean at all times


2. A conscious environment to observe my thoughts

During the 10 days, we were instructed not to talk too much and concentrate on our tasks. It was an excellent chance for me to learn more about myself. I got to observe my thoughts and my actions as I go about doing my tasks. I realized I tend to like to rush through things, feeling happy when a task is completed, but I seldom take time to really do things with care. Therefore fruits I cut were done rather haphazardly.

Through the 10 days, I learnt to be more mindful and do things consciously. I felt my mind clearer and more calm as I slowed down and learnt to be in the present as I do things.

The greatest lesson learnt and which I got to practise there, was to SLOW DOWN and do things mindfully instead of rushing through things trying to be productive.


3. Connect with like-minded people


Here's me with fellow Singaporean, Angela

During the course, there were 6 other servers and I was really grateful to meet them. The people are all so inspiring and just wonderful. They are the kindest bunch of people I have ever met. Every one of them have their own accomplishments back home, but they take time off to volunteer their services. They come from all walks of life (i.e. business woman, aunties, tai-tais, accountant), different nationalities and share different stories. It was really inspiring. As the youngest there, it was really cool for me to listen in on stories and their experiences on life and spirituality. Absorbed a lot of knowledge along the way. 

If you are into meditation/ searching for the meaning of life/ spirituality etc., this is a good place to meet like-minded people. (Though that should not be your main motive here...you should be here to serve, for the students :)) 

Disclaimer: However, I have to say it also depends on your luck, because not everyone you meet may be very nice, though most will be, because I have heard stories of some servers not being able to get along with each other.


4. Get to work in a team


Me with the cook

Talking about team work, as a Dhamma server, it is essential to be able to work in a team. I usually like to do things on my own, but this experience has taught me how to be a better team player. I learnt that it's fun having a team behind you. 

We helped each other out. The first few days, I wasn’t feeling so well and came in late to help out several times, however, they never once complained and always tried to cover for each other. The servers really exhibited love, compassion and selflessness and talking to them really made me more certain that Vipassana meditation really does wonders if you practise it regularly.


5. Revision of concepts, new eyes looking at things

Volunteering was also a good chance for me to revise the concepts I learnt during the Dhamma talks. As my role at the meditation centre was different this time, I also got different lessons from the talk. I got a clearer perspective of the things taught.

I also got to hear more stories from the servers on how Vipassana meditation changed their lives. I heard from an auntie how she was unable to walk due to illness but consistently meditating and having the discipline to do so has improved her health a lot and she was able to walk. There were also people who reformed after a life of despair after getting exposed to this technique.

This was living proof that the technique worked! It is tough, and requires lots of discipline, but nothing good comes easy anyway!


6. Experienced immense joy and humility 

During the 10 days, I experienced humility. Serving people and putting others before myself. I was a humbling experience and kept my ego in check. And at the end of 10 days, after noble silence was broken, I derived joy and happiness when I saw happy faces of students all around. You know, the indescribable moment where your heart overflows with joy when you know you played a part in making this all possible :)


Other tips

Volunteer in August for Durian!


Me with a durian I picked from the ground

Kampung durian ( wild and organic) the durian tasted exceptionally good, probably because it was grown in a place with so much good energy! The flesh was golden-yellow, thick, creamy, and the taste was intense. Nothing I have tasted before. Too bad I was suffering from sore throat and could not eat a lot. Do volunteer in August (Durian season) and you might just get lucky!


Drink lemon water every day first thing in morning for good health

Diseases and illness can only survive in acidic condition. Lemon water is alkaline, and drinking it alkalises your body, preventing illnesses and ensuring good health.

Lemon water can be prepared easily. Simply squeeze out the juice of one lemon and add it to a jug of water. The amount of water added can depend on your ability to take the sourness. 

This drink is served every evening for old students who are fasting. The servers I work with also advocate it and now I am making more efforts to drink it every morning. I feel it is helping with my sinus!


When working with people, or trying to get your point across

Give people what they want, not what you want. Make sure you package your message in a way they can receive it so that your message gets across to them. It is often futile if you try to get people to see your point of view. Instead try to understand them, and give them what they want instead.

Of course there should be a limit. Know your boundaries and do not let people step all over you.


More information

Accommodation
For Dhamma Malaya, there is a separate block for servers. And servers are also segregated by gender. There are 3 shared bathrooms and we each get our own room. Reading is allowed during free time.

Timetable

Wondering what's the schedule like? I managed to take a picture of it to share! :)



Basically servers get to…meditate too! We join in all group sittings and the rest of the time, we are either preparing food, cleaning up or resting :)

Sounds like something for you?

I hope my sharing gave you more insights into this important role!

Do sign up to serve at least once to have an experience of it!
To apply, simply click on DS beside the course timetable where you usually apply for the course!

"Experience the truth, not just knowing it intellectually." 

I look forward to you sharing your experience with me!

Hope you enjoyed the post, thank you for reading till the end, and I would end off with a couplet by S.N Goenka!



Precious time
from
The Jewel of the Dhamma,
a collection of Hindi couplets by SN Goenka

Moment after moment after moment
life keeps slipping by.
Make use of every moment;
the moment past will never come again.

Past moments are gone,
those to come are far away.
This moment come before you -
make full use of it.

Time is so precious,
time is not for sale in the market.
Even for the wealth of three worlds
you can't buy back the time that has passed.

We keep living in past moments,
or in those yet to come.
If we live in this moment
we learn how to live.

Remember past moments, but
don't uselessly be obsessed by them.
Past wealth can be recovered, but
past moments can never return.

No imaginings of the future,
no entanglement in the past;
observing the present,
the liberated person smiles at it.





6 comments:

  1. I was looking for a write-up on the experience of a DS and Google thankfully directed me to your blog. Excellent work. No much is written on such topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am going to serve in this month. Thanks for the insight. But I am little afraid weather I can give true service as it would have its impact on the entire atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yuting, I 'googled' to read about the serving experience ahead of my own one shortly. I chanced upon this and it was an informative read. Your entire blog is brilliant!
    I used to live in Singapore and it's nice seeing a S'porean's perspective on Vipassana.
    Metta, suren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suren,

      Thanks for your kind words! Happy to hear it was informative for you. May you have a wonderful serving experience. :D

      With metta,
      Yuting

      Delete
  4. Your blog is really good. I had experienced as a student of Vipassana 2 months ago in Canada. It was my 1st time. I think that it is actually a good experience and challenge that we all should have and overcome 10 days with a meditation practice in a whole day in silence. I am thinking to apply as a server in next time as well.

    However, I wanna know if a server can use a phone during a course ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, as a server, you will be allowed to use the phone since you do not have to practice noble silence. However, you may wish to limit your usage to stay present and benefit more from the experience.

      Good luck!

      With metta
      Yuting

      Delete